I have a few strategies for achieving high end looks for less…
- WHITE TEES: Inexpensive white tees are a major key to my wardrobe (I like J. Crew but know a lot of women swear by Uniqlo’s U Neck style). They are like a fresh canvas. I love to use them to pair with more expensive skirts or statement skirts or shorts to keep the entire look grounded (and reduce overall cost of the look!). I am wearing my J. Crew tee above with a tiered gingham maxi skirt from Gap (last season — have worn it heartily!) but you can get the look with this Target steal (a Magpie reader find – thank you, Lizzie!) or this LSF investment.
- MATERIAL: I prioritize linen and eyelet. I find these materials do not betray their cost like others (especially blends with polyester) do — that is, linen and eyelet pieces often look more expensive than they are. This white eyelet-edged dress looks and this $25 Target top like they could be by SEA!
- COLOR: I find that black and dark (!) navy almost always look more precious than they are, as do unusual colors, like citrine, taupe, lilac, etc. I cannot believe this dress is under $250 (perfect black tie wedding option) — it looks like Zimmermann! — and this chartreuse skirt is outrageously stylish for the price.
- SHAPE: Look for pieces that have unusual, fashion-forward shapes — exaggerated dimensions, longer hems. I love this oversized envelope clutch (would think it was Hermes!),
- MONOCHROME: For a striking head-to-toe look, wear entirely one color or gradations of one color. This is especially impactful I think with wearing shades of white/taupe/linen. Some white linen shorts with an inexpensive white tee and Supergas will be the epitome of Parisian chic.
- FOR BAGS: An inexpensive but roomy straw tote makes a huge statement and can typically be found for under $100. Also consider canvas totes — unfussy, inexpensive, and eternally chic. Consider this canvas tote and this straw one!
- WHEN IN DOUBT, GO SIMPLE. An unfussy navy swimsuit, a striped tee, canvas sneaks — these are pieces that will never let you down.
Some favorite finds whose price tags you will not believe…
STRIPED TEE // SUPERGAS // SHORTS // LEATHER TRIM CANVAS POUCH // SHELL NECKLACE // BAOBAB TWIST DRESS // CANVAS TOTE // LE SPECS SUNGLASSES // NAVY SWIMSUIT // STRAW BAG // UTILITY SHIRTDRESS // LINEN PLATFORMS // EARRINGS // EYELET SKIRT // TEE // GLADIATORS
A few other fantastic finds that look more expensive than they are…
P.S. Chic sunglasses at all pricepoints.
P.P.S. Statement shoes!
P.P.P.S. Are you good at negotiating?
Leave A Reply
6 thoughts on “Strategies for Achieving High End Looks for Less.”
So many good tips here, especially about prioritizing eyelet and linen — could not agree more! Also, I own that textured suit from And Other Stories in a dusty blue-grey (I think you actually posted about it last year!) and it is so flattering and cute. I want the navy one now!!
Yes, they really have some fantastic pieces, don’t they? I am realizing that I’ve ordered and loved several of their items over the years.
Loved this post and your style advice! Totally agree on linen and eyelet.
Yay! So glad! xx
Thank you! xx